CHOOSING A PLACE to SHIT:
- Hike out, a minimum of 200 feet, well away from any water sources, low lying stream beds, trails, or camp areas.
- Select an untraveled area. Under a tree, near downed timber, or on a slight sloped hillsides.
- Choose a spot for maximum sunlight - for more rapid decomposing.
- Dig your cat hole. Meow! Bring a shovel out & dig a hole 6-8 inches deep.
In the desert, the cat hole should be only 4-6 inches deep. This will allow the heat and sun to hasten the decay process.
- Only bury your crap; Do not bury the toilet paper.
Animals can dig up paper or it can appear as litter down stream after a heavy storm. Burning toilet paper is not a good idea (due to California wildfires and fire safety)
- Use disposable wet wipes / baby wipes for proper hygiene. No butt itch!
- Bring a small brown paper bag to carry back soiled paper and wipes.
- Dispose of paper remains in garbage, or paper bag in campfire (preferrably, after everyone has gone to bed)
REMINDERS ON POO: Solid human waste may be required to be "packed out" from certain places, such as narrow river canyons, granite gorges & alpine lakes. Sometimes "over-used" areas & many rock climbing locations have this type of tight restriction. Check with the local rangers on the specifics. Wilderness or overnight permits may also be needed.