Los Padres National Forest Road #23S01
Willow Creek Road
Los Burros Road
South Big Sur Coast Dirt Roads & super scenic US HWY 1 – North of San Simeon and Hearst Castle, north of Ragged Point and just past Gorda, CA a dirt shoulder, widens, a break in the bushes on the right side of the highway, a small wooden sign for the Yurt Resort called Treebones and the turn off to the back-country of Los Padres National Forest Road #23S01
Willow Creek is a steep coastal canyon w/ Willow Creek Trail #5E08 in the creek below and the dirt road 1000′ above. Willow Creek Day Use Area, the Willow Creek bridge and Willow Creek beach w/ restrooms, picnic tables, and paved parking lot near the highway.
DIRT ROAD, high clearance is recommended, but not required. 4×4 may be needed in wet weather. Motorhomes, trucks w/ trailers and RV campers are not gonna like this rugged, narrow, steep, dirt road and are advised to stick to the pavement. Camper vans and SUVs are be better suited for this terrain.
- Both Thomas Bros. Maps & Benchmark Map’s California Atlas has this route listed as Los Burros Road
- Google Maps has this route named Will Creek Road
- Yahoo Maps has this route as Willow Creek – Los Burros Road
- Mapquest has this one listed as Los Burros Rd – Fort Hunter Liggett (which is a military base, on the opposite side of the mountain range near US Hwy 101)
View Larger Map
Free Camping in Big Sur
Several primitive camp sites can be found along this rugged dirt road, which climbs steeply and switchbacks thru redwoods, madrones, cedars, grass lands and oak hills. Sites within the first 3 miles of this road offer the serene sounds of the ocean – waves, seals, sea lions as well as traffic on the busy highway. There are a few private properties back here in the boonies too, so read signs and don’t go exploring this region in the dark.
About 8 miles back on Willow Creek Rd is Alder Creek Campground – a small developed camp w/ only 2 camp sites and no piped water and no fees.
Prewitt Ridge also has numerous ideal top-of-the-world, free camp sites, which do require a lot more dirt road driving and a very good backcountry map.
- Sycamore Flat Road intersects @ 3 miles up
- Alder Peak Camp is San Martin Top @ 12 miles up
- South Coast Ridge Road is at the very top @ 14 miles
- Lions Den Camp is 19 miles of dirt road driving
- Three Peaks Camp is 21 miles way back there